Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is my favourite coleslaw. The dressing is much lighter than the usual coleslaw dressing. It comes from Anne Lindsay's "Smart Cooking".
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This was a great change of pace that I was happy to serve for a friend who hates mayo-based slaw. I made it with a red cabbage from my CSA box, which made it absolutely gorgeous to look at! I think I may have oversalted it at first, because just before serving I felt I needed to add a few spoons of sugar to balance the flavor. Turned out great! Made for Veg Swap 36.
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill (or 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped, I often omit this if there are people who don't like dill)
Directions See How It's Made
- In serving bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, green pepper, apple and onions.
- Yogurt Dressing:.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice and dillweed, mixing well.
- Pour over salad and toss to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make Ahead: Salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to one day.
- Nutrition Bonus: One serving is a very high source of vitamins A and C, and a high source of folacin.