Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded (your favorite type)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- shred cabbage and peeled carrots into bowl.
- combine all other ingredients into medium saucepan.
- cook until sugar is dissolved.
- cool dressing.
- pour some of the dressing over the mixed cabbage and carrot mixture, continue until all is coated.
- remaining dressing can be frozen.
I made the entire amount of dressing though I thought about halving it as some had suggested. I think half would have been right as this turned out very soupy. It was also more oily than I like. That said, it also had good flavor and was fast. Not my favorite coleslaw, but a good basic one.
Great recipe! I had to substitute olive oil, but it was still delicious. I think I will use the dressing on my summer tomatoes.
As usual, I substituted Splenda for the sugar. I used half a head of red cabbage, and halved the recipe, because people said it made a lot. I also added a little thin sliced red onion to this. It was a beautiful looking salad and very tasty, too!