Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have always liked a tart, rather than creamy slaw and couldn't find a good recipe, so I whipped up this one. Prep time does not include setting time for slaw. This is great with barbecue!
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, cored and sliced (it looks pretty) (optional)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all veggies in a large bowl or a large sealable plastic bag if preparing ahead.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Include red cabbage only if the slaw will be served within a couple hours of adding dressing; if the slaw with red cabbage is stored overnight, everything turns an ugly pink!
- It still tastes good, though!
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and yogurt until smooth.
- Add vinegars, mustard, and dry spices.
- Whisk thoroughly to blend, set aside for 15-20 minutes or more for flavors to meld.
- While whisking rapidly, slowly add the olive oil a few drops at a time.
- Continue whisking until dressing is blended and emulsified.
- For a real crispy slaw, toss dressing with veggies 5-15 minutes before serving.
- For softer textured, but still crisp slaw, toss dressing with veggies 1-2 hours before serving and refrigerate until needed.
- In either case, toss again to redistribute the dressing immediately before serving.
- Slaw still tastes good after being stored in the refrigerator, it just gets softer.
Very good! The only adjustment I made was to use sour cream instead of the mayo and yogurt and I also added just a pinch of sugar. Myself and my daughter neither of whom like regular cole slaw both ate it up! My hubby raved over it as well! Thanks Toby!