Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For the dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground celery seed
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks until light in color, then add the sugar, mustard and Tabasco and whisk vigorously.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour to form a smooth paste and cook, whisking constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the water until smooth.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the butter-flour mixture, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the vinegar and celery seed, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Mix in the sour cream, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and carrots and toss to mix.
- Add half of the dressing and toss to coat, adding more dressing as needed.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour to let the flavors develop.