Recipe by PaulaG
I have been eating these since my childhood. Normally I make these with leftover slaw so the ratio of slaw may be off. The recipe was inspired by Mom's Salad Dressing which was posted by Chef rickoholic83. The dressing makes a wonderful dressing for coleslaw. You may have leftover dressing, it can also be served on a fruit salad or lettuce wedges.
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
Delicious! I used a veggie sausage and added sliced onions on top. Perfect with the coleslaw. For the slaw, I found I only needed to use half the dressing to make it the right consistency. Will be doing this combo again!
- 8 all beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, steamed
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne cut
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dressing, in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and red wine vinegar.
- Mix together the cabbage, carrot, red onion, and sun dried tomatoes; stir in enough of the dressing to moisten the cabbage mixture to your liking, add the ketchup and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, refrigerate the coleslaw until ready to serve, 4 to 5 hours is suggested in order for the flavors to blend.
- Boil hot dogs in water, place one in steamed bun top with generous amounts of slaw and enjoy.
- Please note the cook time allows for chilling the coleslaw for 4 hours before serving.