Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I have been eating these since my childhood. Normally I make these with leftover slaw so the ratio of slaw may be off. The recipe was inspired by Mom's Salad Dressing which was posted by Chef rickoholic83. The dressing makes a wonderful dressing for coleslaw. You may have leftover dressing, it can also be served on a fruit salad or lettuce wedges.
- 8 all beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, steamed
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne cut
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- salt and pepper
- For the dressing, in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and red wine vinegar.
- Mix together the cabbage, carrot, red onion, and sun dried tomatoes; stir in enough of the dressing to moisten the cabbage mixture to your liking, add the ketchup and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, refrigerate the coleslaw until ready to serve, 4 to 5 hours is suggested in order for the flavors to blend.
- Boil hot dogs in water, place one in steamed bun top with generous amounts of slaw and enjoy.
- Please note the cook time allows for chilling the coleslaw for 4 hours before serving.
Delicious! I used a veggie sausage and added sliced onions on top. Perfect with the coleslaw. For the slaw, I found I only needed to use half the dressing to make it the right consistency. Will be doing this combo again!
Yummy hot dogs. We all loved the cole slaw addition. We had with baked beans and homemade rolls. Delicious!
I made this with beef hot dogs for my DH and veggie hot dogs for me. Both of us loved it and will have again! Thank you Paula for a yummy dinner! Served with chips! Made for Zaar Tag.