Recipe by JackieOhNo!
From "An Armenian Evening", Good Food Magazine, October 1986. Prep time does not include chilling time. Posted for ZWT 4.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This needs a little something to perk things up as it is quite bland-tasting. Refreshing, but bland. I think a clove of garlic minced very fine would really improve things.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh mint leaves, plus
- 1 small fresh mint sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse barley with cold running water and drain. Heat medium saucepan of water to boiling. Add barley and simmer covered until tender, about 35 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Whisk yogurt and 2-1/4 cups water together in large bowl. Stir in barley and chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate covered 1-8 hours.
- Stir in minced mint, then return to refrigerator for 30 minutes longer. Serve cold, garnished with small mint sprigs.