Recipe by Chuck Steak
Had a similar salad at a restaurant, and reconstructed from memory. You may need or want more salad dressing and don't be afraid to add extra almonds for more crunch! You can play around with the ingredient quantities as well.
Top Review by Chef GIM
My family enjoyed this at our reunion! I added chopped kalamata olives and crumbled feta, plus used a rice/grain mix instead of wild rice. Definitely toast the almonds, and I used at least 2 T balsamic vinegar plus some extra S&P. Nice crunchy and refreshing salad. Traveled well, too.
- 1 cup dry instant wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry instant rice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh preferred
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- I cook both the instant wild and white rice together in a rice cooker along with the chicken bouillion cube til done.
- Let cool or chill in the fridge.
- Cook orzo according to package directions and drain with cold water.
- Once rice and orzo are both somewhat cool, mix together and add the chopped peppers, onion, chopped cilantro, almonds,& salt.
- In a separate small container, mix the oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and spices.
- I've been making this salad dressing so long, I'm estimating the amounts, so adjust to taste.
- Pour over rice salad, mix thoroughly, add more salt if needed and splash with Balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Salad is best if chilled for at least an hour or two before serving to blend flavors.