Recipe by dianegrapegrower
After trying several recipes for vegetarian spring rolls (all good) I came up with this combination that I like best. Although they're at their very best fresh, they also keep and pack well, making this a nice alternative to packing a salad for lunch. I also like to add cooked shrimp or fake crab to these - but then, of course, they aren't vegetarian anymore.
Top Review by Jason97
I use shredded lettuce, carrot sticks, julienne sliced cucumbers, cilantro and rice noodles in mine. For the dipping sauce I use a bit of melted crunchy style peanut butter mixed with Hoisin Sauce. If you like it spicy, add a touch of hot sauce to the sauce mixture.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79-29.58 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 4.92-9.85 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml garlic and red chile paste
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 4 green onions, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium cucumber, julienned (hot house or persian)
- 946.36 ml Chinese cabbage, slice thinly
- 5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 118.29 ml cilantro, chopped
- 16 rice paper, rounds softened
- cilantro, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add all vegetables and the chopped cilantro. Toss thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Let set 10-15 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Soak one rice paper at a time in water until softened. Place on clean towel, and put 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the vege mixture about 2" from the lower edge of the rice paper.
- Fold the lower edge up to cover the filling. Fold in the sides, and roll up gently. A pretty touch is to sprinkle the upper half of the rice paper with the whole cilantro leaves prior to completing the wrap - they show through the rice paper and are very decorative. Place on a plate, seam down, and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Serve with a sauce of your choice. Use the same ingredients as the dressing if you like, or experiment with mustard or plum sauce. I like the lighter combinations better with these rolls. Even commercial Chinese salad dressing works in a pinch.