Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Even the most basic Macaroni Salad can be heavenly...until people start messing with the "formula" by doing vile things such as adding peas, cheese or worse still, Miracle Whip! I much prefer mayonnaise and assiduously leave out the peas and cheese...In addition I've lightened the original recipe a smidge with lower fat ingredients and whole wheat pasta...Serve over lettuce.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light or lowfat)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni, cooked & drained (Ronzoni Whole Wheat Pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water or 2 (6 ounce) cans white chicken meat, drained
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, lemon juice, salt and tabasco sauce; blend well.
- Add macaroni, tuna or chicken, celery, onion and green pepper, mix well; over and chill 2 hours; toss the salad before serving.
- Suggestions: Use a different pasta, such as rotini or penne rigate.
- NOTE: prep time covers the chopping of veggies and cooking of pasta only; cooking time covers the assembly of the salad and chilling.
VERY GOOD!! Not to fancy. I just added some pepper. I agree about the peas in this type of dish. Great for lunch!