This is an easy crowd pleaser. I have been making it for years. This is my first attempt to write it down (I may come back and make some edits to the "dressing". I have always just kind of mixed things together. I have found that using some authentic ingredients does make it stand out. Fish Sauce and sriracha hot sauce are availabe in the Asian section of most supermarket today. White pepper is hit or miss. Spice stores and many ethnic grocery stores carry it. The French use it in white sauces so you get the pepper flavor, but you do not the specs. This is not an exacting recipe. If you want is spicier add more hot sauce. If not, use less. More tart add vinegar, etc. Add grilled chicken or cooked shrimp and make it a meal. Prep time is about 30 minutes. It does need to chill 2 hours before serving.
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil (or canola or lite olive)
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (substitute with 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce, recommend sriracha
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (preferably white)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (set aside half of chopped green tops)
- vegetables (snow peas - 1 cup, chopped Napa cabbage - 1 cup, bean sprouts - 1 cup) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Cook noodles al dente (do not overcook - mushy noodles won't work).
- Strain and rinse under cold water until cooled.
- Mix or wisk together all "dressing" ingredients (peanut butter through garlic power)until blended.
- In large bowl stir together noodles, 2/3 sauce (reserve 1/3 for later), and vegetables (reserve 1/2 chopped greens from green onion).
- Chill minimum 2 hours.
- Transfer to a bowl or platter, if you you want.
- Before serving pour reserved "dressing" over noodles.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and reserved green onions (and cilantro if used).