Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe that I requested often as a child and now I serve it to my family.It has such a fresh taste and soooo good.
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 can rinsed and drained kidney bean
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 head shredded lettuce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing
- 3 cups small Fritos corn chips
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Brown ground beef,drain off fat and add taco seasoning.
- In a very large bowl add all the other ingredients except the meat and catalina,add the meat after it has cooled down some so it will not melt the cheese,about 5-10 minutes.Pour the Catalina over the entire salad,using about half of the bottle and adding more as desired,toss to coat the salad.Serve immediately.
- This recipe will serve a crowd and is not recommended to refrigerate any leftovers as will become soggy.
I have been making this for years, taking it pitch-in's and get-togethers. I was going to post it myself but I thought I better check if anyone else makes it like I do. There are a couple of differences from mine though. I use a bottle of Ortega taco sauce instead of Catalina and I use Doritos chips instead of fritos. It was really really good when they used to make the Salsa Verde flavor of Doritos...a little spicier!!
This was an awesome dish and went over extremly well with my company. Very easy to make too. Thank you very much for this
I had eaten this before at my mother-in-laws church. I was looking for this recipe and this one is perfect. The first day I cut the recipe down alot and made just one bowl to make sure this was it. The next day I made the whole recipe and served it for lunch for me and my two sons(3&4) They liked it alot considering they hate lettuce. Thank you so much Will keep for ever.