1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
A refreshing, cold summertime dessert that makes good use of fresh strawberries. Originally from "Southern Sideboards", a Junior League of Jackson,Mississippi cookbook.Prep time does not include chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (1 7/8 g) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups pure'ed strawberries, divided (about 3 pints)
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups whipping cream
- red food coloring
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- additional strawberry, for garnish
- additional whipped cream, for garnish
- 1Extend depth of a 2-quart souffle dish or casserole by securing a 4-inch band of double thickness aluminum foil around top.
- 2Mix gelatin and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan;stir in 1 1/2 cups strawberries.
- 3Mix in beaten egg yolks.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,just until mixture boils; remove from heat.
- 5Stir in remaining strawberries and lemon juice.
- 6Place pan in refrigerator or in a bowl of ice and water,stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon, about 15 to 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- 8Fold cooled strawberry mixture into meringue.
- 9Beat cream in a chilled bowl until stiff and fold into meringue mixture.
- 10Fold in food coloring,as needed.
- 11Carefully spoon into prepared souffle dish and swirl top; refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 12Just before serving, run the edge of a sharp knife inside foil band and remove band.
- 13Decorate top and sides of souffle with almonds and top of souffle with additional berries and whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cold Strawberry Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.8
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 146.5 mg
- Sodium 47.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g