Recipe by katindallas
This is one of the first recipes I ever created, so it's only appropriate that it should be the first one I post! It's a great cold treat, and very easy to make! Most other recipes I've seen call for mayo or Miracle Whip instead of the cream cheese. I'm not a big fan of "heart-healthy" recipes, but this could easily be made with low/no-fat sour cream and cream cheese. The water chestnuts are optional, but I think it adds to the texture!
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
- 0.5 (1 ounce) packet dip mix (I used Knorr's, but can't find it anymore, so I use the Lipton Garlic & Herb now)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using onions, I lightly saute them in a little butter or olive oil to soften.
- Mix soup/dip mix into softened cream cheese and then add sour cream. (Make sure the cream cheese is very soft, otherwise you will have lumps.).
- Add onion, water chestnuts and spinach and mix together thoroughly.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours. (If you can make this a day or so in advance, the flavors will have time to set well!).
- Prep time includes refrigeration and servings are a guess!
- I serve it with my favorite crackers (Triscuits) or toasted bread slices.