Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Food & Wine. This is the sort of thing I love taking to work for lunch. I always have dried shiitakes in the house, so I will use those instead of grilling fresh.
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 8 scallions
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili oil
- 7 ounces soba noodles
- 1 large cucumber (peeled, halved, seeded and cut into thick matchsticks)
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds (optional)
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms and scallions with the peanut oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the mushrooms over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked through and tender, about 4 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Grill the scallions, turning once, until softened and blackened in spots, about 2 minutes; add to the mushrooms.
- Let the mushrooms and scallions cool, then thinly slice them.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the ginger, garlic, sesame oil, rice vinegar and chili oil.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the soba noodles until al dente, about 4 minutes; drain.
- Transfer the noodles to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, scallions, cucumber and dressing and toss well. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.