Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
One of my favorites, and also my own creation, great to serve at get togethers. Make certain to use only Uncle Ben's converted rice for this. You can add in other veggies along with radishes and celery if desired. I serve this at my BBQ get togethers, everyone loves this, and it is a nice change from potato salad. Prep time does not include boiling rice, but does include chilling time You can substitute salami for the ham. Instead of shredded mozza cheese you can cube it.
- 2 cups uncle ben's converted white rice
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (can use cheddar also, or both!)
- 2 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (or to taste)
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked ham, chopped small
- Prepare the rice in water with a teaspoon of salt until cooked, then cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cooled rice with onions, radishes, celery, mozzarella cheese and ham.
- In a small bowl combine the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add the mayo mixture to the rice; mix well to combine (adjust all ingredients to taste, if you prefer a creamier salad add in more mayo).
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
DH enjoyed this as a new lunch salad! I used leftover yellow rice and omitted the celery, but otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious! Will make again for sure.
I made this for my work lunches, it was very good and refreshing. It kept well for the entire week in the refrigerator. I followed the directions exactly, except I subbed dried onion flakes because I don't care for the taste of raw onions.
Had to search for this in order to rate it as I had thrown my print copy out. Should have just gone to highest rating and Kittencal beacuse as usual thats where she and it is. This was so good and different. I used Basmati rice (microwaved no less) Djion Mustard, added the radish and some peas (cause I love em) and I even ate it for breakfast. I think she should be a chef for one of the stars. Thanks again Kittencal.