Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
My mother made this pound cake recipe many times during my formative years. I always found it odd that the oven did not need preheating, but the cake always turned out exceptionally well for her and me as well.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Cream butter, shortening, sugar and eggs for 10 minutes.
- Alternately add buttermilk and flour, beating well each time.
- Add extracts.
- Pour into greased and floured 10" tube pan and put into cold oven.
- Turn temperature to 300*.
- Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes or till cake tests done.
My new favorite pound cake! I found this recipe a little before Christmas last year and have made it several times since. It was devoured at our last church social-- thanks for sharing a great recipe.