Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posting for safe keeping so I can try later. Good on a hot summer day.
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow split peas
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Pick over the peas to remove any grit & then wash and drain them.
- Place the drained peas in a large saucepan with water and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 90 minutes or until peas are tender. Remove from heat.
- Put peas & liquid into a blender or food processor (prefer to use a hand blender in the pot). Add the lemon juice, cumin, coriander, chili, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Garnish with a swirl of yogurt.
This is great! I didn't have yellow peas so I used green. It just wasn't as pretty. ;) Cook, cook, cook the peas the full 90 minutes so they are super soft & puree nicely. I whisked the yogurt in instead of using it as a garnish. It *does* take awhile - actually a LONG while - to cool down so plan ahead. dd & i really enjoyed this! dh hated it. oh well! Made for TOTM 7/12 Ice Cold Delights.