Recipe by toninalani
This recipe is an island favorite and can be eaten as a meal or as an appetizer. I love the "bite" from the green onions and cilantro. Cut the chopping time by adding the sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and use deboned chicken cut into pieces if you cannot chop through the bone.
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 lbs whole chickens, washed and cleaned
- 6 -8 cups water
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (Chinese parsley)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boiled Chicken:.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the whole chicken, sliced ginger root, and chopped garlic.
- Bring chicken to a boil and reduce heat to medium for a slow, rolling boil for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and after chicken cools, chop chicken, including bones, to approximately 3" pieces.
- Cool chicken in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Green Onion Sauce:.
- Combine sauce ingredients, mix well, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour cold sauce over cold chicken pieces.