Recipe by Sharon123
Pineapple matchsticks are rolled up in paper-thin slices of melon for a light, refreshing dessert that is prepared in the same fashion as sushi rolls. It's important that the fruit be perfectly ripe. Wrap cool slices of melon around pineapple matchsticks, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the pieces, wrap tightly, and refrigerate until it is time to serve dessert.
Top Review by Dinglebop
I made this for our afternoon lunch. The lady at the store peeled the pineapple for us, so all I had to do was cut into long square thin strips. The melon I put on cotton gloves and grandma explained how to watch and use a mandolin. We sliced it thin with the rounded side down into slices. Rolled them up with a piece of each melon and pineapple in the middle. To catch the juices I used a jelly roll pan with foil on it, then it poured into a bowl real easy. This is very good and I am going to make these when school starts, so Adam and I can take them in our snack. We both love fruit and vegetables. Thank you for the new way to eat more fruits. I have a Japanese girl in my room at school too so I will be able to share.
- 1 small honeydew melon
- 1 small cantaloupe
- 1 small pineapple
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the fruit on a cutting board lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the melons and pineapple and sit them upright on the cutting board.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut away the rind, slicing lengthwise, working your way around the fruit.
- Cut about 24 very thin slices of melon in the same fashion, slicing from the top to bottom, allowing the juices to collect on the parchment paper.
- Slice the pineapple lengthwise into 1/8" slices. Stack and cut into matchsticks.
- Pour the juices that have collected into a small bowl.
- Stir in the sweetener and set aside.
- To assemble the fruit sushi:
- Lay the melon slices vertically on the cutting board. Place 3 pineapple matchsticks horizontally at the base of the melon. Roll the melon around the matchsticks, wrapping tightly.
- Trim the base of the roll and slice it into individual pieces.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the pieces, and refrigerate until it is time to serve dessert. Serve with juices mixed with sweetener. Enjoy!