Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Nothing cures the common cold, but this soup will surely relieve some of the symptoms for you! The aromatic herbs will help open your breathing passages, with the ginger, red pepper flakes and cinnimon. Be sure to inhale the wonderful aroma! Seville oranges are seasonal and sometimes I can't find them, so I just use regular navel oranges, or whatever I can get,so don't worry about it.
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 carrot, peeled and halved
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 inches knob ginger, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 seville oranges (about 1/4 cup)
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings (optional, for garnish)
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken, carrot, onion, cinnamon,
- ginger and salt. Add 3 quarts water, orange zest and juice. Place
- over high heat, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer,
- uncovered, until liquid has reduced to about half and chicken flavor
- is strong, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, and discard solids.
- Allow broth to cool, then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve,
- remove layer of solidified fat from surface, and wipe surface of
- congealed soup with a paper towel to remove traces of grease. Soup may be covered and refrigerated
- for up to three days.
- To serve, warm soup, ladle into mugs or bowls, and garnish.