Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Cooked cucumber is a very unusual item in any recipe, but this really will bring accolades and is good for the hot summer months or a first course any time. This scales up or down easily.
- 2 cups diced white onions
- 4 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 4 cups peeled seeded and chopped English cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded & finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- Simmer 1st 6 ingredients in covered pot until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add next 3 ingredients and hard simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool and blend (in batches) until very smooth.
- Add next 5 ingredients, mix well and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Serve with 1 rounded tbs sour cream in center of soup bowl.
- Decorate with oval cucumber slice or twisted slice of lemon or mint leaves.