Recipe by Susiecat too
Soothing and delicious--with bits of cucumber. Better the second day than the first, if it lasts that long.
Top Review by pegger50
Your recipe is the same as one a neighbour gave me almost 30 years ago. She was from a German Mennonite background and I treasure every recipe she shared. This is the easiest soup I've ever made. If the ingredients are all cold, the soup is delicious right away on a hot day, but yes, better if allowed to mingle together for several hours. Another optional ingredient my dear friend sometimes added was cooked, shredded beets which gave the soup a lovely pink colour and additional flavour. (Now I just used canned beets.) Either way, this is a real keeper.
- 2 -3 cups diced cucumbers
- 3 -4 tablespoons minced chives
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- salt and pepper
- crushed garlic (optional)
- minced scallion (optional)
- minced of fresh mint (optional)