Recipe by Mirj
This is a recipe by Beth Elon, who has a column every other week in our local paper. In our house it's just not Friday night dinner unless there's soup, but with the weather being so hot lately, I haven't been able to even bear the thought of sitting down to a hot steaming bowl of chicken soup, let alone cooking it on Friday. I tried this out the other night and it was so refreshing, I think we'll have this more often than just Friday nights during the summer! Prep time includes chilling (who wants lukewarm cuke soup?).
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
Mirj! If I could give you a place in the Guiness Book of World Records for The Person I admire the most, I'd give it to u most happily and willingly. We loved this soup beyond words. It was so refreshing like you said in the short description. I made it last night, around 10pm and refrigerated it overnight. At lunch time, I poured in the low-fat yogurt, and, as I didnt have chives, I used parsley as a substitute and ah, it gave it a kick! It gave such a lot of flavour, it was wonderful. I had 2 bowls of this with 2 bread slices for lunch and its been 5 hours now, and I'm still going strong! Thank U, Mirj, I'm your fan and my mom, dad and me, love this soup! Dad tossed in a few dumplings into his bowl(dumplings are what we call "boondi") and he would like this soup to be repeated often at home! Thanks, again! :)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 5 smooth-skinned cucumbers
- 1 potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup yogurt
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the vegetable broth to the boil.
- Chop 4 of the cucumbers coarsely.
- Thinly slice the fifth, and set the slices aside.
- Add the chopped cucumbers, potato, leeks, shallot and garlic to the boiling broth, and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and cool.
- Refrigerate for several hours, until well chilled.
- To serve, pour the chilled soup into a soup tureen, add the sliced cucumbers and chopped chives.
- Spoon the sour cream or yogurt on top, or serve it separately at the table.