Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
A friend just gave me this recipe and I made it up as an alternative for our workday morning coffee. Although it's recommended for iced coffee, it works equally well for hot coffee -- and it's EXTREMELY easy to put together in the morning, since you don't have to fuss with equipment or with cleaning. My husband's view (he's the coffee drinker in the family) was that it made very good hot coffee, but GREAT iced coffee.
- Stir together the coffee grounds and water.
- Cover and let sit overnight.
- Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer. Strain 2-3 times to remove grounds and silt.
- This creates a concentrate; to dilute to appropriate proportions, add one part water to one part coffee (i.e., use 1/2 cup coffee concentrate and 1/2 cup water). Add water or coffee concentrate to adjust to your personal tastes.
- For hot coffee, put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- For iced coffee, refrigerate and serve over ice.
Followed instructions exactly, very simple! But it turned out a bit too weak for my liking. I'll try it again with less water dilution.
Thanks for posting this! I love making this at home without having to buy a Toddy container. I'm always shocked when people haven't tried cold-brew yet, yum!
This recipe made a fantastic glass of iced coffee!! We prefer stronger coffee...and this works very well! Thank you!