Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
My husband comes from Traverse City, Michigan, cherry capital of the world. Fresh sweet cherries are plentiful in late June and July. This is a delightful dessert that is great by itself, with creme fraiche, or over vanilla ice cream or pound cake. You can keep it on hand for up to 6 months in your refrigerator. Prep time includes chill time.
- 6 ounces red currant jelly
- 1 lb fresh sweet cherries, pitted (may use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup good brandy
- 1 cup creme fraiche (for serving, optional)
- Melt the jelly in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the cherries and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Let cool, add cognac or brandy, and chill for at least 1 hour before serving or storing.
- Serve cherries with 1 tablespoon brandy sauce per serving.
- Pass creme fraiche if desired.
- Store in refrigerator in tightly covered jar for up to 6 months.