Recipe by OTMama
This recipe came from my little sister's mother years ago... My Mom and I make it for BBQs and it's always a hit. Can be made up to a day in advance. Do not add cucumber until nearly ready to serve or it will be soggy.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, with seeds,minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup lite olive oil
- 1 large cucumber, peeled,seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dices
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, cover peas with 4" cold water.
- Add bay leaf boil over moderate heat- reduce to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender-approximately 50 minutes.
- Add water if peas look dry.
- Drain in colander, rinse with cold water; discard bay leaf.
- Transfer to large bowl and toss w/ red onion.
- Combine ingredients from orange zest to black pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Add to peas and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, fold in the cucumber and jalapeno.