Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's nothing like cold beef in the summer :P
- 1 1⁄4 lbs beef tenderloin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 3 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- 2⁄3 cup unflavored gelatin, dissolved
- 3 slices green peppers, cut into attractive shapes
- 4 small avocados, peeled and sliced
- 12 ripe olives
- Place the beef in a shallow dish. Mix the bay leaf, olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and peppercorns together and pour ove the beef. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours. Baste 2-3 times while chilling.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a roasting pan in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 3-4 minutes. Remove the meat from the marinade, place on a rack in the roasting pan, baste with the hot oil, and cook for 30-45 minutes, until done as desired. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender, cut in half and toss with 2 T dressing. Leave to cool.
- Slice the beef and arrange in overlapping slices round a flat serving plate. Brush with cool gelatin, leave to set. Decorate with pepper diamonds, brush with gelatin and leave to set.
- Mix the avocado, remaining dressing, potatoes and olives together. Arrange on a serving plate, garnish with mint sprigs, and serve with beef.