Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
No-cook soup good for hot days of summer. Real easy to make because the blender or food processor does most of the chopping, but it takes time to chill which is not included in cooking time. I omitted the optional shrimp (8-16 boiled & chilled) since I'm a vegetarian, but you might want to add some to yours. It also very light and low-fat. From the August 2009 food section of the New York Times, adopted from "Once Upon a Tart..." by Frank Mentesana and Jerome Audureau. Once Upon a Tart is a charming cafe in Soho neighborhood of NYC.
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons salt
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, puree garlic, cucumber and avocado, scraping down sides if necessary. Add buttermilk, 3/4 cup water, dill, salt and a pinch of cayenne, black pepper and half the orange juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining orange juice in increments until you like the flavor. Cover and refrigerate. Serve soup chilled, garnish with shrimp, lime juice and olive oil if desired.