Recipe by Potagekempcc
Irish Corned Beef braised in Guinness Stout and served with Colcannon. Guinness enhances flavor into the Brisket.
Top Review by Tonycanasta
I made the potatoes from this recipe and matched them up with the Ale Braised Corn Beef with Horseradish Gravy - Swedish style. The paring was excellent. The potatoes were excellent on their own but the the horseradish mustard gravy from the corned beef went perfect with the calcannon. Highly recommend. Even my 81 year old mother, (who does not like to cook anything as complicated as braising meat or putting together two recipes), said after tasting these potatoes that they are so good that we must make this again together - this week - so she knows how to make them.
- 8 ounces onions (Chopped)
- 8 ounces carrots (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 cups Guinness stout (Black Lager)
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup pickling spices
- 4 ounces side bacon (Cooked & Chopped)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 lb savoy cabbage (Sliced Thin)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (Chpooed)
- 2 tablespoons thyme (Chpooed)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg (Grated)
- 1 cup creamed horseradish
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Heat Dutch Oven add 1-tablespoon olive oil, bay leaves, vegetables and saute' 4-5 minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil and sear Beef Brisket on both sides. Add 1/4 cup Guinness Black Lager and reduce by one-half. Add Stout, beef stock, pickling season and cover Dutch Oven. Place in pre-heated oven, reduce to 250°F and braise for 5-6 hours.
- One hour before the Corned Beef is done start preparing the "Colcannon".
- In a large pot add vegetable stock, potatoes and fine sea salt. Cook potatoes 10-15 minutes or until they are done. Strain potatoes and reserve water. Add 3 tablespoons butter and hand mash potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Core cabbage and slice very thin. Boil cabbage in potato water and cook until tender. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Hold cabbage warm and strain.
- In a small saucepan bring cream to a full boil and reduce to a simmer. Wisk in butter, scallions, parsley, thyme, white pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Reseason with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Remove brisket, place on a cutting board to rest before slicing.
- In a large pan combine cabbage (strained), cream, bacon bits and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Fold in mashed potatoes and remaining butter. Mix Colcannon to a smooth and creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Colcannon in 6 large bowls and add sliced Corned Beef. Add a tablespoon butter, laddle some Beef Broth over Colcannon and serve.
- Place a bowl of creamed horseradish on the table.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.