1/3 Photos of Colcannon With Oven Braised Corned Beef Brisket
6 hrs 30 mins
Chef #848413's Note:
Irish Corned Beef braised in Guinness Stout and served with Colcannon. Guinness enhances flavor into the Brisket.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces onions (Chopped)
- 8 ounces carrots (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 cups Guinness stout (Black Lager)
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup pickling spices
- 4 ounces side bacon (Cooked & Chopped)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 lb savoy cabbage (Sliced Thin)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (Chpooed)
- 2 tablespoons thyme (Chpooed)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg (Grated)
- 1 cup creamed horseradish
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- 2Heat Dutch Oven add 1-tablespoon olive oil, bay leaves, vegetables and saute' 4-5 minutes.
- 3Add remaining olive oil and sear Beef Brisket on both sides. Add 1/4 cup Guinness Black Lager and reduce by one-half. Add Stout, beef stock, pickling season and cover Dutch Oven. Place in pre-heated oven, reduce to 250°F and braise for 5-6 hours.
- 4One hour before the Corned Beef is done start preparing the "Colcannon".
- 5In a large pot add vegetable stock, potatoes and fine sea salt. Cook potatoes 10-15 minutes or until they are done. Strain potatoes and reserve water. Add 3 tablespoons butter and hand mash potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Core cabbage and slice very thin. Boil cabbage in potato water and cook until tender. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Hold cabbage warm and strain.
- 7In a small saucepan bring cream to a full boil and reduce to a simmer. Wisk in butter, scallions, parsley, thyme, white pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Reseason with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- 8Remove brisket, place on a cutting board to rest before slicing.
- 9In a large pan combine cabbage (strained), cream, bacon bits and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Fold in mashed potatoes and remaining butter. Mix Colcannon to a smooth and creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Place Colcannon in 6 large bowls and add sliced Corned Beef. Add a tablespoon butter, laddle some Beef Broth over Colcannon and serve.
- 11Place a bowl of creamed horseradish on the table.
- 12Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colcannon With Oven Braised Corned Beef Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (1999 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1867.4
- Calories from Fat 872
- Total Fat 96.9 g
- Saturated Fat 40.2 g
- Cholesterol 403.1 mg
- Sodium 5432.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 71.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: