Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cook's Illustrated
Make and share this Colcannon Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb leek, halved lengthwise, sliced thin, and rinsed well (white and light green portion only)
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces cubed red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large stockpot fry bacon until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove cooked bacon to paper towel lined plate and let cool.
- Add onion, leeks and cabbage to the pan with the bacon fat. Stir to coat with bacon fat. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer 2 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Add potatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream. Crumble cooled bacon and add to soup. Season with salt and pepper.