1/3 Photos of Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes With Cabbage)
This dish is traditionally served in Ireland at Hallowe'en with a coin buried in it. Whoever gets the coin in their serving has good fortune coring their way!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the potatoes, cut into 1" chunks.Boil or steam the potatoes in salted water until fork tender, about 30 minutes. , drain.
- 2Steam the cabbage, scallions, 1/4 cup water and 1/8 tsp.salt to boiling, reduce heat and cook until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- 3To the potatoes, add the milk, 1 teaspoons salt, pepper. and butter. Mash until smooth.
- 4Stir in cabbage and scallions.
- 5Dot with butter and serve. (Don't forget to tuck a coin in for luck!).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes With Cabbage)
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.2
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 587.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 6.0 g