Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I know there is a ton of different styles. This is the one I found that I like the best.
- 709.77 ml green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml water
- 6 cooked potatoes, mashed or 946.36 ml instant mashed potatoes
- 59.14 ml milk
- 59.14 ml butter
- 14.79 ml salt, to taste
- 7.39 ml pepper, to taste
- Put cabbage, onion, and water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 8 minutes or until tender, but not mushy.
- Drain cabbage and onion.
- Add mashed potatoes, milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well to blend and heat through.
- Serve warm, as a side dish with meat, chicken or fish.
Love this stuff!! If you have never tried colcannon because it sounds like an odd combination, go ahead and try it. You will be very glad you did. This is a great Irish dish to have on St. Patrick's Day.
I could eat mashed potatoes this way all the time! I love it! I didn't use quite as much salt as called for, and I sprinkled some caraway seeds on top. Tasty comfort food. I'll make this often. Thanx Tarlain!
We LOVED these potatoes! I boiled the potatoes just till they were about done, drained most of the water and then added the cabbage and onion and basically let it all steam until tender, then mashed it all together. So, so good! We're looking forward to having these again very soon. Thanks for posting!