Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Colcannon is eaten at Halloween and is from Ireland. Also requires special equipement: Ring,coin,stick,pea, and thimble(each wrapped in parchment, or waxed paper).
- Boil potatoes; skin, drain, and mash.
- Chop cooked cabbage and mix into mashed potatoes.
- Chop onion and saute in butter until they are soft; mix into potatoes and cabbage.
- Fold in the charms.
- The ring stands for marriage, the coin for wealth, the pea for poverty, the thimble for spinsterhood, and the stick for one who will travel far.
- Serve hot with a well of butter in each serving.