Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This healthy recipe was developed by the U.S. Potato Board.
Make and share this Colcannon Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces smoked chicken or 8 ounces turkey sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- pepper, to taste
- In 3-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with broth and water; add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add cabbage and onion.
- Saute 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add sausage; continue to saute about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until vegetables and sausage begin to brown.
- Add carrot; set aside.
- With slotted spoon, remove about 3/4 cup potato pieces and add to skillet.
- In electric blender, blend remaining potatoes and liquid until smooth, being careful to hold blender lid down with kitchen towel; return to saucepan.
- Add contents of skillet; mix in enough milk for consistency desired.
- Heat to simmering.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is really quite a tasty soup! I had some baby carrots on hand, so sliced them up and sauteed with the other veggies, otherwise made just as directed. Easy to make and pretty healthy too - thanks for sharing your recipe!