1 hr 45 mins
Marisa Cormier's Note:
Courtesy of Tyler Florence "Tyler's Ultimate". He traveled to Ireland to get this one and it is YUMMY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes.
- 2Peel them using a knife and fork.
- 3Chop with a knife before mashing.
- 4Mash thoroughly to remove all the lumps.
- 5Add 1 stick of butter in pieces.
- 6Gradually add hot milk, stirring all the time.
- 7Season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- 8Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color.
- 9Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it.
- 10Cover with lid for 2 minutes.
- 11Drain thoroughly before returning it to the pan.
- 12Chop into small pieces.
- 13Put the ham in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- 14Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until tender.
- 16Remove any fat and chop into small pieces.
- 17Add cabbage, scallions, and ham to mashed potatoes, stirring them in gently.
- 18Serve in individual soup plates.
- 19Make an indentation on the top by swirling a wooden spoon.
- 20Put 1 tablespoon of butter into each indentation.
- 21Sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colcannon
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.2
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 1431.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 25.8 g