This colcannon recipe came from a Prince Edward Island, Canada, cookbook, if I remember correctly. I do not know the title to it or if it is still in print. There are many different recipes for colcannon, but this one is my favorite, the only one I make now.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water till tender; drain, reserving water.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Mash with hand masher till well-mashed.
- (I find the electric mixer makes it too gooey).
- Add milk, salt and pepper and beat till fluffy.
- In the same saucepan as potatoes were cooked in, cook cabbage in reserved potato water for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in frying pan and saute onion until tender.
- Add mashed potato and cooked cabbage to the onion.
- Heat throughly, stirring constantly.
- Place in a heated serving dish.
- Serve hot, topped with butter.