1/5 Photos of Colcannon
Jan H.'s Note:
This colcannon recipe came from a Prince Edward Island, Canada, cookbook, if I remember correctly. I do not know the title to it or if it is still in print. There are many different recipes for colcannon, but this one is my favorite, the only one I make now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook potatoes in boiling water till tender; drain, reserving water.
- 2Place in a large bowl.
- 3Mash with hand masher till well-mashed.
- 4(I find the electric mixer makes it too gooey).
- 5Add milk, salt and pepper and beat till fluffy.
- 6In the same saucepan as potatoes were cooked in, cook cabbage in reserved potato water for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender.
- 8Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in frying pan and saute onion until tender.
- 9Add mashed potato and cooked cabbage to the onion.
- 10Heat throughly, stirring constantly.
- 11Place in a heated serving dish.
- 12Serve hot, topped with butter.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colcannon
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.7
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.0 mg
- Sodium 177.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g