1/4 Photos of Colcannon
There's not an Irish bone in my body, but I love colcannon. I'm, also, not a kale kind of gal so I prefer colcannon with cabbage. Your kids will surprisingly love this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb bacon (optional and may use pepper bacon)
- 4 scallions, finely sliced (green onions)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1Quarter potatoes. Add to a stockpot and cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2Cook bacon in skillet, drain, reserve drippings and crumble bacon, set bacon aside.
- 3In drippings saute cabbage and onion until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 4Mash potatoes with milk and butter, stir in bacon, cabbage, onions.
- 5Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colcannon
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.2
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 111.1 mg
- Sodium 1537.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 12.4 g