Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From the cookbook Food From Green Places: Vegetarian Recipes From Garden Hedgegrow. This is a very tasty recipe, as I just tried this today. So I am now passing it on to others to try as well. It doesn't say how much boiling water to use but I did use 1/4 cup of boiling water, plus it's not listed in the list of ingredients.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them over the stove. Set aside.
- Pour boiling water over spring onions in a small bowl to soften them (I used a quarter cup of boiling water). Drain and heat them gently witht he milk for 5-6 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes and add the milk mixture.
- Melt the butter or margerine in a pan and toss the shredded cabbage in it. Fold into the potato. Season generously.
- You can either serve it as is (like I did), or fry it in butter, oil or dripping like a thick pancake until the outside is crusty, crisp and brown.
Super yummy! I have tried this before with limited toddler success--I don't know why I didn't think to shred the cabbage!! Great hint, great recipe. Thanks, Studentchef! Made for Veg Swap 35.
I used these to top my Sea Scallop and Cod Pie Topped With Mashed Potatoes
http://www.food.com/recipe/sea-scallop-and-cod-pie-topped-with-mashed-potatoes-85594. Used half the cabbage. Boiled my potatoes with garlic for extra flavor.
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/colcannon-367251#ixzz1GyXgtjuo
Did top them with butter and paprika before placing the casserole in the oven. Thanks
Easy and tasty too! I used scallions and enjoyed them in this dish. Made for ZWT 2012 by a Herbaceous Curvaceous Honey.