From the cookbook Food From Green Places: Vegetarian Recipes From Garden Hedgegrow. This is a very tasty recipe, as I just tried this today. So I am now passing it on to others to try as well. It doesn't say how much boiling water to use but I did use 1/4 cup of boiling water, plus it's not listed in the list of ingredients.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them over the stove. Set aside.
- Pour boiling water over spring onions in a small bowl to soften them (I used a quarter cup of boiling water). Drain and heat them gently witht he milk for 5-6 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes and add the milk mixture.
- Melt the butter or margerine in a pan and toss the shredded cabbage in it. Fold into the potato. Season generously.
- You can either serve it as is (like I did), or fry it in butter, oil or dripping like a thick pancake until the outside is crusty, crisp and brown.