Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Growing up in an Irish household, this is how we liked to eat our mashed potatoes. This is true comfort food to me!
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 103.53 ml butter
- 1419.54 ml cabbage, shredded
- 118.29 ml scallion, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the potaotes, drain and mash them with the cream and 4 T. of butter.
- Meanwhile, while potatoes are boiling, saute the shredded cabbage in 3 T. of butter until soft. Add scallions and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Combine the cabbage mixture with the potatoes and season to taste.
A very nice way to eat mashed potatoes and cabbage! A good recipe for St. Pattie's Day.
We all loved this! The cabbage added extra texture and some flavor to mashed potatoes. I used leftovers the next day to top Rachel Ray's 30 minute Shepherds Pie. Great combo!
Yum! I've made this twice. The first time I made it for St. Patrick's Day, and I followed the recipe as directed. It was delicious. The second time, I made it healthier(because I want to make this more frequently): I cooked the cabbage in olive oil with just a bit of butter added. I also used less butter, and replaced the cream with 2% milk(I just poured a little in), in the mashed potatoes. My sister and I are vegetarians, but my son is not. We all enjoy this!