Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a classic Irish dish, I love mashed potatoes and cabbage, I don't know why I didn't think about mixing them, leave it up to the Irish to make something like this. There are a few colcannon recipes here on Zaar, but this one is a little different, I like the fact that the cabbage is sauteed in bacon grease before adding to the potatoes.
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, drain and transfer to a bowl, cover.
- Cook bacon in skillet, drain, reserve drippings and crumble bacon, set bacon aside.
- In drippings saute cabbage and onion until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Mash potatoes with milk and butter, stir in bacon, cabbage, onions. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- Note - I chop my cabbage fairly course because I love cabbage, you can chop fine if you like.