Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 lb fresh broccoli or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 medium carrots, thinly bias sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- If using fresh broccoli remove outer leaves and tough parts of stalks.
- Cut stalks into small bite-size pieces (about 4 cups).
- In a large saucepan combine the water and chicken bouillon granules; heat to boiling.
- Add the carrots and fresh or thawed broccoli.
- Cover and cook about 10 minutes or till vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Drain, reserving the liquid.
- If necessary, add enough water to the liquid to equal half cup.
- In the same saucepan melt the butter.
- Add green onion; cook till tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour, nutmeg, and white pepper.
- Add the milk and the reserved liquid all at once.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the colby cheese and swiss cheese; cook and stir till cheeses are melted.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables and sherry; heat through.