Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and easy too.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups colby cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 ounces ham, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk; stirring until smooth.
- Continue stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened.
- Add salt, cayenne and cheese, stirring over heat just until cheese melts; then remove sauce from heat.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly.
- Add a little bit of sauce to egg yolks; beat.
- Slowly pour egg mixture back into sauce, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping.
- Stir in ham, parsley and thyme; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold cheese mixture into egg whites.
- Pour into 2 qt soufflé dish or straight sided casserole dish.
- With tip of spoon, make slight indentation or 'track' around top of soufflé 1" from edge of dish to make the crown which rises on the soufflé.
- Bake at 325°F for 45-60 minutes (until deep golden brown and center is set); serve immediately.