Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A muffin version of the Southern cola cake; get your sweet tooth on.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cola, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup mini marshmallows
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare muffin tin: spray indentations/rims with cooking spray.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Stir constantly until half the chocolate and butter is melted.
- Remove the top of the double boiler; then continuing stirring, away from the heat, until the butter and chocolate are completely smooth; cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together; set aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and vanilla until smooth; whisking all the while, slowly pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, continue whisking until well blended.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in half the flour mixture; gently stir in the cola; when foaming subsides, stir in the remaining flour mixture and the mini marshmallows just until the flour is moistened.
- Fill the prepared tins ¾ full; bake 20 minutes or until the muffins have rounded cracked tops and a pick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes; gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it.
- Remove muffins from the pan and cool 5 minutes on the rack before serving.
- *Black Cherry Cola Muffins: substitute black cherry soda for the cola; add ½ cup pitted fresh black cherries with the marshmallows; proceed as directed.
- *Dr Pepper Muffins: substitute Dr Pepper for the cola.
- *Pecan Cola Muffins: add ½ cup chopped toasted pecan pieces with the flour, proceed as directed.