Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Leave this to my godchild to find a recipe with coke in one of our favorites.
Make and share this Cola French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- parmesan cheese, grated
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter/margarine. Add onions and cook until they are golden, do not brown.
- Add the undiluted beef broth, 1 soup can of water, Coca-Cola, salt, vinegar, and pepper. If the beef taste is not quite there you might want to add some beef boulon to this. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- In deep bowls add croutons, ladle soup and top with swiss cheese and sprinkel on Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for 25 seconds to melt cheese.
- Makes 4 servings or about 6 cups.
I used 1 very large white onion that gave me 4 cups. I added more beef bouillon powder and a little bit of salt at the end. This soup has a great taste. But I can't taste the coke. Maybe that's a good thing ;) This soup is easy to do. I used gruyere cheese on top and it didn't want to brown like swiss cheese does. But it was great. Thanks Blue Rose :) Made for PAC Spring 2012