Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Britains Best Dish" Tv Program! Looks really nice, served with rice and nachos
Make and share this Cola Chilli Con Carne recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 500 g minced beef
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 8 ounces kidney beans
- 1 medium chipotle chili, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh green chili, finely chopped
- 115 ml cola
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 100 ml skim milk, warmed (or water if preferred)
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- smoked paprika, to taste
- 200 g long grain rice
- Chilli con carne.
- 1.Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until slightly browned.
- 2.Add the cumin and paprika and combine to coat the onions and garlic in the spices. Cook until fragrant (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- 3.Add the minced beef and brown for approximately 15 minutes.
- 4.Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée and kidney beans. Crush the plum tomatoes with a wooden spoon, combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- 5.Add the finely chopped chillies, cola, oregano, sugar and cook, uncovered on a low heat for about half an hour until thickened and deep red in colour (stir frequently to avoid sticking to the pan).
- 6.Add the lemon juice and check seasoning.
- Spicy nachos.
- 1.Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and combine.
- 2.Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- 3.Add the milk (or water) and mix until you form a dough. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- 4.Divide into 12 pieces and roll out each piece onto a floured surface to 35cm in diameter.
- 5.Cut into triangles.
- 6.Heat the vegetable oil until very hot. Shallow fry the nachos in batches for 3 minutes on each side.
- 7.Drain on kitchen paper and garnish with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- 1.Soak the rice for an hour in cold water then drain and discard the soaking water.
- 2.Add the rice to about 250ml boiling water, cover, reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and cook until all of the water has been absorbed. Do not remove the lid during the cooking process.
- 3.When the rice has absorbed all of the water, remove from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes, keeping the lid on still.
- 4.Fork through the rice to separate the grains then serve.