1 hr 45 mins
From "Britains Best Dish" Tv Program! Looks really nice, served with rice and nachos
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 500 g minced beef
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 8 ounces kidney beans
- 1 medium chipotle chili, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh green chili, finely chopped
- 115 ml cola
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 100 ml skim milk, warmed (or water if preferred)
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- smoked paprika, to taste
- 200 g long grain rice
- 1Chilli con carne.
- 21.Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until slightly browned.
- 32.Add the cumin and paprika and combine to coat the onions and garlic in the spices. Cook until fragrant (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- 43.Add the minced beef and brown for approximately 15 minutes.
- 54.Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée and kidney beans. Crush the plum tomatoes with a wooden spoon, combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- 65.Add the finely chopped chillies, cola, oregano, sugar and cook, uncovered on a low heat for about half an hour until thickened and deep red in colour (stir frequently to avoid sticking to the pan).
- 76.Add the lemon juice and check seasoning.
- 8Spicy nachos.
- 91.Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and combine.
- 102.Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- 113.Add the milk (or water) and mix until you form a dough. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- 124.Divide into 12 pieces and roll out each piece onto a floured surface to 35cm in diameter.
- 135.Cut into triangles.
- 146.Heat the vegetable oil until very hot. Shallow fry the nachos in batches for 3 minutes on each side.
- 157.Drain on kitchen paper and garnish with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- 171.Soak the rice for an hour in cold water then drain and discard the soaking water.
- 182.Add the rice to about 250ml boiling water, cover, reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and cook until all of the water has been absorbed. Do not remove the lid during the cooking process.
- 193.When the rice has absorbed all of the water, remove from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes, keeping the lid on still.
- 204.Fork through the rice to separate the grains then serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cola Chilli Con Carne
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 935.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 950.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: