Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
From Bon Appetit. Simple, delicious and unique. It's definitely best to use Mexican or Kosher Coke, as it contains real cane sugar instead of corn syrup, which makes it taste so much better.
- 8 ounces Coca-Cola
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 lbs chicken drumsticks, trimmed of excess fat
- peanut oil, for frying
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Combine the cola, onion, brown sugar, garlic, ketchup, ginger, mustard, Worcestershire, and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; set the marinade aside. Pat the chicken dry. In a deep skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 1 inch of peanut oil. Working in batches, fry the chicken, turning occasionally, until the skin begins to crisp and brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to paper towels to drain. Discard the oil.
- Put the reserved marinade and chicken broth into the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and add the chicken. Simmer for 15 minutes, turning once. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter.
- Boil the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Pour the sauce over the chicken.