Recipe by BLUE ROSE
Cola is the secret ingredient in this easy black bean soup recipe. You can make this soup even spicier by adding a chopped chile pepper, if you like it hot.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
I have to say that I found the flavors lacking as well. I should have tried adding more lime but didn't think of it. Instead I added about 1 cup of tomato salsa and that did the trick. One thing to mention, keep an eye on this and you will have to keep adding water as it cooks. I started with 4 cups of chicken broth and added water as it cooked down. Otherwise you will have a bit of a mess! When the beans were cooked I added another cup of chicken broth plus the salsa and it was still very thick.
- 3 cups dried black beans
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup cola drink
- 3 cups chicken broth, about
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Place black beans, chopped onion, and garlic in a large heavy pot.
- Add cola, chicken broth, and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until black beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove 2 cups of the black beans and place in a blender with lime juice, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and salt. Puree the mixture and return to the pot of black beans. Stir to combine.
- To serve, garnish with dollops of sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and lime wedges to be squeezed into the soup at the table.