Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
Cola is the secret ingredient in this easy black bean soup recipe. You can make this soup even spicier by adding a chopped chile pepper, if you like it hot.
- 3 cups dried black beans
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup cola drink
- 3 cups chicken broth, about
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- Place black beans, chopped onion, and garlic in a large heavy pot.
- Add cola, chicken broth, and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until black beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove 2 cups of the black beans and place in a blender with lime juice, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and salt. Puree the mixture and return to the pot of black beans. Stir to combine.
- To serve, garnish with dollops of sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and lime wedges to be squeezed into the soup at the table.
I have to say that I found the flavors lacking as well. I should have tried adding more lime but didn't think of it. Instead I added about 1 cup of tomato salsa and that did the trick. One thing to mention, keep an eye on this and you will have to keep adding water as it cooks. I started with 4 cups of chicken broth and added water as it cooked down. Otherwise you will have a bit of a mess! When the beans were cooked I added another cup of chicken broth plus the salsa and it was still very thick.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 - Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I usually am not a fan of black beans & find them a little bitter (& weird tasting lol) but this soup turns them into something /i can enjoy! I think there is some kind of chemical breakdown caused by the cola but whatever it is, this is one delicious soup! I halved the recipe & all 4 of us enjpyed this with some homemade bread. Thanks Kimberly for another great recipe:)
As much as I dislike leaving bad reviews, I didn't like the taste of this one. I added a bunch of other spices to improve the taste, but the texture was good. Thanks for the recipe!