Basted in coke and wine, and glazed with mustard and brown sugar, my experiment produced a succulent ham so juicy and flavorful that condiments are optional. My whole family raved! Amounts are approximate and may vary depending on your oven, cut of meat and personal tastes.
- Preheat oven to 325 and use the lowest rack in the oven.
- Score ham about 1/4" deep and a few inches across in about five or six random places.
- Place in deep roasting pan and pour coke and wine over ham.
- Baste every 15 minutes.
- Turn ham to a different position every half hour or so.
- If meat starts to get too brown on top too soon, make a foil tent and cover loosely (I did this for the last hour).
- After two to three hours, or when meat thermometer inserted in the deepest part (not touching the bone) says 120-130, remove the ham from the oven.
- Mix sugar and mustard in small bowl and brush generously all over the ham (if needed, make more glaze).
- Return ham to oven on a higher rack, uncovered, and bake at 450 for 10-20 minutes.