- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 orange, grated peel
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup Cointreau liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Add milk and stir till smooth.
- Add orange peel.
- Gently heat the mixture until it starts to thicken. Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and slowly add 1/2 cup of the sauce. Slowly add egg mixture to the sauce. Continue to cook for a few minutes, but make sure that the sauce does not boil.
- Pour sauce into a bowl and add vanilla and cointreau, stir gently to mix.
- Refrigerate till ready to use.